3/26/13

The Demon Lover-Fairwick Chronicles #1 {My Thoughts}

The Demon Lover (Fairwick Chronicles, #1)The Demon Lover by Juliet Dark
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Book Info:
 Paperback, 448 pages
Published December 27th 2011 by Ballantine Books (first published July 21st 2011)
ISBN 0345510089 (ISBN13: 9780345510082)
edition language English
original title Incubus
urlhttp://www.carolgoodman.com/Content/The_Demon_Lover.asp
series Fairwick Chronicles #1


Kindle Edition
Published (first published July 21st 2011)
ASINB005VQFQMU
original title Incubus
seriesFairwick Chronicles #1

ebook, 448 pages
Published December 27th 2011 by Ballantine Books (first published July 21st 2011)
ISBN 0345526279 (ISBN13: 9780345526274)
edition languageEnglish
original title Incubus
urlhttp://www.carolgoodman.com/Content/The_Demon_Lover.asp
series Fairwick Chronicles #1
Source: NetGalley EARC
Buy Links:
 AMAZON B&N
BOOK SYNOPSIS
I gasped, or tried to. My mouth opened, but I couldn’t draw breath. His lips, pearly wet, parted and he blew into my mouth. My lungs expanded beneath his weight. When I exhaled he sucked my breath in and his weight turned from cold marble into warm living flesh.

Since accepting a teaching position at remote Fairwick College in upstate New York, Callie McFay has experienced the same disturbingly erotic dream every night: A mist enters her bedroom, then takes the shape of a virile, seductive stranger who proceeds to ravish her in the most toe-curling, wholly satisfying ways possible. Perhaps these dreams are the result of her having written the bestselling book The Sex Lives of Demon Lovers. Callie’s lifelong passion is the intersection of lurid fairy tales and Gothic literature—which is why she’s found herself at Fairwick’s renowned folklore department, living in a once-stately Victorian house that, at first sight, seemed to call her name.

But Callie soon realizes that her dreams are alarmingly real. She has a demon lover—an incubus—and he will seduce her, pleasure her, and eventually suck the very life from her. Then Callie makes another startling discovery: Her incubus is not the only mythical creature in Fairwick. As the tenured witches of the college and the resident fairies in the surrounding woods prepare to cast out the demon, Callie must accomplish something infinitely more difficult—banishing this supernatural lover from her heart.

“Vivid and enchanting . . . Dark’s letter-perfect gothic style is a satisfying tribute to previous gothic novels, and the paranormal elements, including incubi, fae, vampires, and witches, make this a stellar romance.”— Booklist (Top 10 SF/Fantasy)

“[Juliet] Dark develops a complex, detailed world where magic, reason, and gothic literature enjoyably intersect.”— Publishers Weekly
My Thoughts
Decent beginning which became muddled towards the middle and then lost it's way towards the end. Weird thing is that it had great potential if the author had not chased so many "rabbits" instead of keeping to the main plot points. What I mean by this is that at times there were too many plot points to keep track of and even when they merged it was a bit confusing to me as I kept having to walk away from the book and do other things besides read so when came back to the story lost my train of thought, which was purely my own fault.

I finished and enjoyed the premise of this book much more than did not and point of fact am looking forward to continuing with book two The Water Witch , which was also available on Netgalley and graciously made available to me by it's publisher when I requested the opportunity to read it.

The idea of Callie having been in contact with the incubus since childhood and he turned out to be her dream companion was not a new concept but in this instance was made fresh when the origins of the demon lover were revealed. One could not help but be sympathetic to his plight even though you know that in the end if she does not banish him her life would be forfeit to his lust.

I think that if the other threads in the book had been a little less distracting and the reveal of exactly what was going on, including Callie's own heritage, had come in a more timely manner that this would have been an easier read for me. However it was still interesting to see the different cast of characters slowly be revealed for what each one was and how they fit into the scheme of the past history of Fairwick. It behooves me to point out that while there was quite a bit of back story to work through the main story about Callie and her demon lover is an above average paranormal romance that was enough to keep me sifting through the rest of the book to see how it worked out.

As a lover of supernatural entities this stories diverse cast of characters were all ones I like to read about, from witches to vampires to fae everyone brought something different to the table. However my favorite was Ralph, who turned out to be very important to Callie and also a great tension reliever when he stole every scene he appeared in!

[EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]
Photobucket
Places to find author:
FB GR-CG GR-JD



TransparentSignature

3 comments:

June G said...

Hey! It's been a while since we've both read the same book! LOL...This story did have a lot of threads, but I really enjoyed it. I loved the author's use of description and atmosphere. It felt fresh and quirky to me, very gothic. I'm looking forward to learning more in the next installment. Maybe it won't be too late for me to get it from Netgalley! Ha!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Hmm, sorry to hear that. Sounds like it had all good intentions. Thank you for sharing. :)

Jackie Burris said...

June book two redeemed the series and am really looking forward to book three.

Melissa the author truly is enjoyable as a storyteller, however in book 1 there were too many stories to keep track of and since my reading time was limited kept losing the threads that interconnected and it made this one a choppy read for me as kept putting book down due to interruptions. Second book was shorter and also as familiar with characters and their world much easier and more interesting reading so now want third to see how things finally turn out.